There are a lot of things that you can do in order to make your pool highly appealing. You know that you can always change up the tiles of the pool so that it will look amazing. You can even add some underwater lights so that people will have no problem viewing the pool at night. As long as you have the money to do it, you know that improving and maintaining your pool are things that you can do effectively.
Aside from keeping your pool clean, you need to make sure that you will keep the alkaline levels of your pool safe to be used by everyone. The regular checking of your pool is expected from you especially if you are the most concerned about making sure that it is well maintained.
Why Is There A Need to Lower Alkalinity Levels of the Pool?
You may be wondering why there is a need for you to closely monitor the alkaline levels of your pool. There is a big chance that when the alkaline level of your pool is too high, you will get skin irritations. You also cannot expect to open your eyes underwater while you are swimming with or without goggles if the water’s alkaline level is too high. Your eyes will only become sore.
Another reason why you should reduce the alkaline levels of the water in your pool is because there is a big chance that the equipment that you use in order to maintain your pool will become affected. Your equipment might not be able to take the wear and tear brought about by the high alkaline levels. When your pool equipment breaks down, this means that you have to pay more to maintain your pool in the long run.
How to Control the pH Levels of Your Pool?
You have to remember that controlling the pH levels of your pool can be complicated. You know that you have to make use of various chemicals in order to control your water. This can be hard if you do not know what the proper pH levels of your pool should be. You need an alkalinity level of 7.0 for freshwater pools and 7.2 – 7.8 for salt water pools.
You have to remember that in order to lower the alkalinity level of your pool on your own; you need to know the measurements of your pool.
Depending on the size and depth of your pool, you will know how much chemicals you need to use.
The chemicals that you can use for your pools are the following:
- Sodium Bisulfate
- Muriatic Acid
You can choose which of the chemicals that are mentioned above can be used in order to maintain the alkalinity level of your pool.
If you would choose to use Sodium Bisulfate, then you need to know how you can use it properly. You need to make sure that you know the current alkalinity levels of your pool. Once you know the alkaline levels and you know that it is too high, you can already use the Sodium Bisulfate.
- Remember to switch off the pump of the pool so you can wait for about an hour before you would use the Sodium Bisulfate.
- Read the instructions on how you can use the Sodium Bisulfate. The amount that you are going to use will depend on the size and the depth of your pool.
- Dilute the powdered chemical first and make sure that it dissolves completely.
- Place the diluted chemical on the deepest area of the pool.
- Let the chemical stay in the water for an hour or more before you switch the pump back on.
- Test the alkalinity levels of the water after 6 hours.
- You may do some adjustments depending on the alkaline levels that you are going to get.
If you would choose to lower the alkaline levels of your pool with the use of muriatic acid, remember that it is hard to use because it can literally burn your skin and some parts of your body. Wearing protective clothing while you are handling this chemical is a must.
You can do the following:
- Check the alkaline levels of your pool. If the alkaline level is high, you may proceed with using muriatic acid in order to lower the alkaline levels.
- Switch off the pump of your pool and wait for about an hour or so.
- Get to know how much you need to place on the pool depending on how large the pool is.
- It is recommended that you place the muriatic acid that has been diluted in various parts of your pool. If you have a deep pool, you can place the muriatic acid on the deep area.
- Remember that you need to let your pool stay still for about an hour or so again before you turn the pump back on.
- Turn your pump back on and wait for about half a day before you check your pool’s alkaline levels.
- Just readjust the pool levels if you need it.
Once you do the things that are mentioned above, you can count on having a healthy and well maintained pool that you can enjoy with your family and friends.